Facts at a Glance
- Founded in 1863, HSS is America's oldest orthopedic hospital and a tertiary care academic medical center.
- The Hospital is nationally ranked #1 in Orthopedics and #3 in Rheumatology in U.S.News & World Report "America's Best Hospitals" 2014-15 issue. It has been among the top ranked institutions in Orthopedics and Rheumatology for 24 consecutive years.
- HSS is the first hospital in New York State to receive Magnet Recognition for Nursing Excellence by the American Nurses Credentialing Center three consecutive times.
- In 2013, HSS was designated as the first National Medical Center of the United States Olympic Committee’s National Medical Network. In this capacity HSS is an official hospital for U.S. athletes.
- HSS physicians are official team doctors for the New York Giants, New York Mets, New York Knicks, Brooklyn Nets, New York Liberty, USA Basketball, and New York Red Bulls. HSS is also a designated FIFA Medical Center of Excellence, one of only three in the United States.
- HSS has achieved the 99th percentile rank for "likelihood to recommend" for 24 consecutive quarters (6 years) when benchmarked against the high-performing Magnet peer group.
- According to the New York Department of Health, HSS is the only hospital with a statistically significant lower surgical site infection rate for hip replacement, compared to the New York State average, for the past five years.
- The HSS International Center served well over 800 patients from nearly 81 countries in 2013.
^ Back to Top