Tips for Bike Safety
It’s National Bike Month! Bicycling is a fun way to improve your health. It can be done at a leisurely or fast pace and is easy on the joints compared to high-impact sports. Dr. David S. Levine, orthopedic surgeon and a member of the HSS Bike Team, provides the following tips for injury prevention and safety:
1. Keep your distance. Don’t ride too close to cars.
2. Wear bright clothing and a helmet.
3. Make sure your tires are properly inflated with air before every ride. Proper pressure is indicated on tire sidewalls.
4. Make sure loose pant legs are secured to avoid catching them in the chain as it rotates. You can use rubber bands or reflective Velcro straps.
5. Have your bike thoroughly tuned by a professional at minimum at the beginning of the riding season.