Top Tips: How to Have a Successful Recovery After Hip Replacement Surgery
While total hip replacement (THR) surgery is still a major operation, your quality of life after the operation will enhance, leaving you with significantly less pain and with marked improvement in your mobility. It’s important to plan ahead and seriously take the advice of your doctor in order to have a successful and complication-free recovery. Here are tips to consider before and after having a hip replacement surgery to help have a successful recovery:
1. Move and stay active. Having a THR doesn’t mean you need to become a couch potato. It’s time to build up your endurance by having walking sessions or other exercises that will help to build your mobility. The stronger you are going into your operation, the easier your recovery will be.
2. Think of your options and decide whether inpatient rehabilitation is better for you or if going home with services is more beneficial. Once you are admitted, a case manager will assist you in making the proper decision for yourself.
3. Make your life easier by making your home user friendly by removing any obstacles or furniture that may be in your way.
4. Maintain a healthy and balanced diet. Being overweight will contribute to excess pressure on the hips and make your recovery slower.
5. Maintain proper hip precautions during your post-operative period.
6. Avoid impact activities since these activities will significantly decrease the life of your new hip replacement.
Dr. Mathias Bostrom is an orthopedic surgeon at Hospital for Special Surgery. He is a specialist in hip and knee surgery, especially in complex reconstructions.