Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement Service
We led the field with the first knee replacement. And we’ve stayed leaps and bounds ahead ever since.
Over three decades ago, surgeons at HSS pioneered the first artificial human knee replacement – just one milestone in 150 years of specialized care. Today, physicians on the Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement (ARJR) Service continue to lead the field in both innovation and in the number of hip and knee replacement surgeries that we perform each year.
Our physicias are constantly developing new surgical techniques, using smaller instruments and smaller implants, to facilitate hip and knee replacements. These techniques are changing the way replacement surgery is viewed. What was once seen as a limiting procedure is now opening doors for our patients – to get them pain-free and back to doing what they do best. Knowledge gained through depth of experience:
- Each year, our orthopedic surgeons perform over 9,000 hip and knee replacements – more than any other hospital in the U.S.
- We lead the field in safety, with one of the lowest infection rates.
- U.S. News & World Report has ranked us as the number one hospital in orthopedics for several years in a row. The survey includes evaluation by peer physicians.
- We are able to treat some complex operations with minimally invasive surgery – allowing less possibility for post-operative complications, while speeding up healing and recovery
- We are an academic medical center committed to training future generations of orthopedic surgeons, and as such, our patients benefit from our experience treating the most complex cases, the latest treatment options and state-of-the-art technologies, and a team of clinicians who are the best and brightest in their areas of expertise.
Calling us is the first step.
^ Back to Top
Our patients seek our care from near and far. Learn more about the HSS Coast to Coast Program for traveling patients.